Windows XP can only be upgraded to Windows 7 or Windows 8? by a clean install. That is? all software should be re-installed anew
There are two approaches to migrate the Windows XP environment to a new Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC :?
- Transfer programs, settings and? personal files on a new PC
- Run old Windows XP as a virtual machine inside new Windows.
The most critical issue while moving to a new PC is to transfer licensed, rare or discontinued programs to a new PC. After extensive search we were able to find only 2?
3? tools able to migrate those programs? from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
- PCmover Professional. Transfers ~350 programs, settings and files, $40 .
SoftRescue -transfers ~80% of programs and settings and files, about $30(site is down)
- PCTrans - Transfer applications and data, Free for 2 apps, $50
- PickMeApp - transfers about a million programs "only", but FREE!.
Transfer Single Program
- Presto Transfer Ultimate -? transfers about 35 popular ( mostly free)? programs? $15
- Firefox and Thunderbird - manual instructions and some free tools.
Transfer User Profile Settings, Program Settings? and Files.
- PCmover Professional. Transfers user profile settings and files, $40 .
- Windows Easy Transfer - transfers operating system and program settings and files, free.
Program Settings Transfer and Backup
- Fab's AutoBackup 4 - already non free $70 backup, restore, transfer tool for web browsers, email clients, ++
- BackRex -? a $70 settings backup and transfer tool ( for web browsers , emails clients, etc.)
- SSBT 1.4 - A free settings backup tool supporting 28 programs on windows XP
Windows XP Virtualization????
Note:? Read Microsoft Warning before looking for those solutions.
- Zinstall - transfers old PC inside a proprietary virtual environment running on Windows 7,? about $90.
- Parallels Desktop? for Upgrading to Windows 7
- VMware Converter free
- Disk2vhd v1.63 - a free tool to create a snapshot of original Windows XP to run it in the XPM.
- SmartDeploy uses VMWare Converter? to provide virtualization.
Application Mover is a shareware tool relocating installed programs from one path to another on a hard disk. The tool? substitutes files paths so that new path will reference to the old one.? c:\prog\editor -> c:\oldstuff\edit
A free alternative of the tool above.
- Dell KACE Kbox image cloning system for a mass migration
- Viewfinity User Migration? to automate Microsoft User State Migration usage
Please let us know if we missed any solution.